About the Women's and Children's Hospital
The Queen Victoria Hospital
In 1900 the South Australian Company donated land in Rose Park and grants of £2550 were made to enable the building of a private maternity hospital. Initially known as The Queen's Home the hospital was officially opened on Queen Victoria's 83rd birthday on the 24 May 1902.
In 1917 unmarried women were admitted to the hospital for the first time. Three years later antenatal clinics began in the Queen's Home. The first medical registrar and resident medical officer were appointed in 1923.
The hospital was renamed the Queen Victoria Maternity Hospital in 1939 and was declared a public hospital seven years later under the provisions of the Hospital Benefits Act (1946).
Other milestones include the installation of the first humidcribs in South Australia in 1952, the extension of hospital services to include gynaecology in 1970 and the establishment of the State's first Neonatal Intensive Care Unit in 1975.
Almost a quarter of a million South Australians began life at the Queen Victoria Hospital.
last modified: 17 Mar 2016