Women's and Children's Hospital, Adelaide

Preparing for Adult Services

Paediatric Rehabilitation Department

Preparing for Adult Services

We use the word "transition" to describe the process of planning and moving on from the Women's and Children's Hospital to an adult health care team.

Transition is a gradual process and your health team may start discussing this with you at around 14 - 16 years of age. It gives everyone time to talk about what health care you will need as an adult, choose which hospital or services are best for you and make sure you're ready to make the move.

The following resources will assist you to prepare for transition. If you have any questions about transition to adult services contact the Nurse Consultant on 08 8161 7367.

"Preparing for adult health services" (Video)


Fact sheets/resources on transition to adult services

PDF iconFact sheet for parents (402kb)

PDF iconFact sheet for adolescents (2.1mb)

PDF iconUseful resources for adolescent transition (2.6mb)

My Personal Health Folder

The 'My Personal Health Folder' is a great tool to help you keep all of your health records that may be required by your medical teams. It includes a health history as well as general information about your day to day health needs. You can also use this to keep track of any upcoming appointments. This can be provided by the Rehabilitation team in either an electronic or paper version - just ask the nurse to help you with this. You can also save the version on this website to a USB and it will be ready to use.

PDF iconMy Personal Health Folder (1.2mb)

Frequently asked questions

PDF iconFrequently asked questions (181kb)

Pathways for adolescents transferring to adult rehabilitation services

Rehabilitation services within South Australia have developed pathways for our adolescent clients who require adult rehabilitation services.

Below are the three pathways, which shows where your health services may be directed once you turn 18.

PDF iconPathway for patients with Brain Injury (191kb)

PDF iconPathway for patients with Spinal Cord Injury (191kb)

PDF iconPathway for patients with general rehabilitation needs (196kb)

Youth Rehabilitation Transition Clinic

Some adolescents requiring general rehabilitation services from the age of 18 will be referred to our Youth Rehabilitation Transition clinics. These clinics are designed to facilitate support and follow up in the adult health services and promote a smooth transfer of care from the paediatric setting. They are designed to be short term clinics, aimed at establishing adult services, with services then being linked to other adult areas as required, or linked back to the GP as the primary care provider.

The links below provide information on the three clinics currently in service:

PDF iconFlinders Medical Centre Transition Clinic (449kb)

PDF iconThe Queen Elizabeth Hospital Transition Clinic (193kb)

PDF iconModbury Hospital Transition Clinic (102kb)

Useful links for young adults beginning the transition from paediatric to adult health care

As a young adult beginning the transition process from paediatric to adult care, there are many questions you may have along the way. The following links will provide useful information that will help you to become more independent in your healthcare. If there are any topics not covered here that you want to know about, please talk to one of the rehabilitation team.

Adult Rehabilitation Services


Link iconHampstead Rehabilitation Centre - including:

Link iconSA Brain Injury Rehabilitation Services

Link iconSA Spinal Cord Injury Service

PDF iconNorthern Adelaide Rehabilitation Service - Modbury (102kb)

Link iconThe Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Link iconFlinders Medical Centre - Allied Health


Link iconGriffith Rehabilitation Hospital

Link iconCalvary Rehabilitation Hospital

Link iconThe Memorial Hospital

Link iconOccupational Therapy Australia - South Australia

Link iconOccupational Therapy Australia - Find a private practice OT

Disability and Youth Support

If you want to find out more about Centrelink payments, disability support pensions, Youth Allowance and more. You may also want to visit your nearest Centrelink office for further information

Link iconHuman Services - Information for families with children aged 16 years or over

Julia Farr Youth (JFY) are a group of young people living with disability who are enthusiastic about disability youth issues. JFY members believe in young people having the same opportunities as their non-disabled peers, and are passionate about bringing about change. JFY meet and discuss issues important to them, and come up with strategies to change thoughts and lives. JFY exist so that youth living with disability can voice their concerns about their lives and take action to change themselves and others.

Link iconJulia Farr Youth

Applying for your own Medicare Card

At the age of 15 you can apply for your own Medicare card. There is no cost to apply and it may be handy if you need to start attending appointments without your parents.

Link iconHuman Services - application for Medicare card

Concession cards for public transport

Link iconAdelaide Metro - Concession Cards

General health and well being

This website is specifically aimed at 12 to 17 year olds. It covers some useful topics including healthy body, healthy mind, relationships and drugs and alcohol use

Link iconCYH website

Sexual health

The following websites will provide useful information on your sexual health, including resources and practical information.

Link iconShine SA

Mental Health

The following websites have useful advice and information on mental health, including information about depression and anxiety.

Link iconHead Space

Link iconYouth Beyond Blue

Alcohol and drugs

It is important to understand how drugs and alcohol affects your body, including side effects and consequences of their use.

Link iconAlcohol and drugs - information page

Driving Fitness Assessment Clinic (DFAC) – Flinders Medical Centre

Link iconDriving Fitness Assessment Clinic (DFAC) – Flinders Medical Centre

PDF iconDriving Fitness Assessment Clinic – flyer

Health Insurance

If your parents have private health insurance most young adults are covered under their parent's health insurance until the age of 24 years (but every insurance policy is slightly different). Check with your parents regarding this. If you are considering getting your own health insurance as a young adult it is important to do some research to ensure you get the best cover to suit you.

Link iconCompare health insurance policies

WCH page link iconback to Paediatric Rehabilitation home

last modified: 19 Nov 2018