Information for Building Contractors
Industry Notification Regarding Market Sounding Activity for a Building Contractor
The procurement of Professional Service Contractors including Architects, Engineers and Cost Manager for the new Women’s and Children’s Hospital (nWCH) was completed in June 2020.
The current project team comprises of:
- Department for Health and Wellbeing (SA Health) – Lead Agency
- Women's and Children's Health Network – End User
- Department for Infrastructure and Transport – Delivery Agency
- A+ Joint Venture (Led by Woods Bagot) – Architect
- IGHE Joint Venture (Led by WSP) – Engineer
- Rider Levett Bucknall (RLB) – Cost Manager
On 22 June 2021, the Government provisioned $1.95 billion in the 2021–22 State Budget to deliver the nWCH Project, with an expected completion in 2026.
The nWCH Master Plan includes:
- 500 treatment spaces and 170 outpatient consultation rooms;
- a 1,215 space multi-level carpark located to the west of the site;
- site preparation works associated with clearing the nWCH and car park sites including re-location of existing services;
- expansion of the Port Road Bridge to include an additional lane for vehicles;
- a new pedestrian and cyclist path along the southern side of Port Road;
- intersection upgrades at Gaol Road and Port Road;
- re-alignment of Gaol Road to accommodate the new car park;
- a new link bridge to connect the new car park and nWCH;
- a new link bridge to connect the nWCH and RAH; and
- RAH interface works.
A site plan with the proposed works is shown below.
A Managing Contractor procurement model is proposed for the delivery of the nWCH project. The engagement of a Managing Contractor will commence with an open Expression of Interest (EOI) in July 2021, followed by a Request for Tender (RFT) to shortlisted respondents.
In preparation for the procurement of a Managing Contractor, the Department of Infrastructure and Transport has commenced a market sounding process to understand industry perspectives on the procurement, contracting and delivery approach for the construction of the nWCH that best align with project objectives.
The market sounding was released to select General Building Contractors (GBCs) on 25 June 2021. GBCs participating in the market sounding were approached on the basis of their track record in the delivery of major public health infrastructure projects valued at $500m+.
The market sounding seeks written responses to a series of high-level questions, followed by an interview stage in the presence of a probity advisor. Market Sounding responses from the select GBCs are due on 2 July 2021. Participation in the market sounding will not be a prerequisite to participating in the future procurement process.
A preliminary project program providing indicative durations for the nWCH project is outlined in the table below:
|Managing Contractor Procurement Process||July 2021||February 2022|
|— Market Sounding||Late–June 2021||Early–July 2021|
|— Managing Contractor EOI Period||July 2021||August 2021|
|— Managing Contractor RFT Period||September 2021||December 2021|
|— Managing Contractor RFT Evaluation & Approvals||December 2021||February 2022|
Suppliers and trade contractors in the building industry are advised to check the SA Tenders and Contracts website and this page for future updates.