Skip to main content
The Women's and Children's Hospital is located on the traditional lands for the Kaurna people, and we respect their spiritual relationship with their Country. We also acknowledge that the Kaurna people are the custodians of the Adelaide region, and that their cultural and heritage beliefs are still as important to the living Kaurna people today.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people should be aware that this website may contain images, voices and names of people who have passed away.

We use the word "transition" to describe the process of planning and moving on from the WCH to an adult health care team. Transition is a gradual process and your health team may start discussing this with you at around 14 to 16 years of age.

We use the word "transition" to describe the process of planning and moving on from the Women's and Children's Hospital to an adult health care team.

Transition is a gradual process and your health team may start discussing this with you at around 14 - 16 years of age. It gives everyone time to talk about what health care you will need as an adult, choose which hospital or services are best for you and make sure you're ready to make the move.

The following resources will assist you to prepare for transition. If you have any questions about transition to adult services contact the Nurse Consultant on 08 8161 7367.


My personal health folder

The "My Personal Health Folder" is a great tool to help you keep all of your health records that may be required by your medical teams. It includes a health history as well as general information about your day to day health needs. You can also use this to keep track of any upcoming appointments. This can be provided by the Rehabilitation team in either an electronic or paper version – just ask the nurse to help you with this. You can also save the version on this website to a USB and it will be ready to use.

Frequently asked questions

Pathways for adolescents transferring to adult rehabilitation services

Rehabilitation services within South Australia have developed pathways for our adolescent clients who require adult rehabilitation services.

Below are the three pathways, which shows where your health services may be directed once you turn 18.

Youth rehabilitation transition clinic

Some adolescents requiring general rehabilitation services from the age of 18 will be referred to our Youth Rehabilitation Transition clinics. These clinics are designed to facilitate support and follow up in the adult health services and promote a smooth transfer of care from the paediatric setting. They are designed to be short term clinics, aimed at establishing adult services, with services then being linked to other adult areas as required, or linked back to the GP as the primary care provider.

The links below provide information on the three clinics currently in service:

As a young adult beginning the transition process from paediatric to adult care, there are many questions you may have along the way. The following links will provide useful information that will help you to become more independent in your healthcare. If there are any topics not covered here that you want to know about, please talk to one of the rehabilitation team.

Disability and youth support

If you want to find out more about Centrelink payments, disability support pensions, Youth Allowance and more. You may also want to visit your nearest Centrelink office for further information

Julia Farr Youth (JFY) are a group of young people living with disability who are enthusiastic about disability youth issues. JFY members believe in young people having the same opportunities as their non-disabled peers, and are passionate about bringing about change. JFY meet and discuss issues important to them, and come up with strategies to change thoughts and lives. JFY exist so that youth living with disability can voice their concerns about their lives and take action to change themselves and others.

Applying for your own Medicare card

At the age of 15 you can apply for your own Medicare card. There is no cost to apply and it may be handy if you need to start attending appointments without your parents.

Concession cards for public transport
Mental health

The following websites have useful advice and information on mental health, including information about depression and anxiety.

Sexual health

The following websites will provide useful information on your sexual health, including resources and practical information.

Alcohol and drugs

It is important to understand how drugs and alcohol affects your body, including side effects and consequences of their use.

Obtaining a driver's license