Comfy Kids Team
The Comfy Kids Team is staffed by a Nurse Consultant (specialist nurse) on weekdays, a senior pharmacist in pain management twice a week, and anaesthesia staff from the Department of Children's Anaesthesia.
The Comfy Kids Team was established at the Women's and Children's Hospital in 2003.
The team is staffed by a Nurse Consultant (specialist nurse) on weekdays, a senior pharmacist in pain management twice a week and anaesthetic staff from the Department of Children's Anaesthesia.
- Daily review of children and adolescents following major surgery or trauma by The Comfy Kids Team on weekdays and an anaesthetist on weekends
- Consultancy for children and adolescents who are inpatients and require assessment and management of complex acute pain
- Implementation of pain management and/or light sedation strategies for ongoing treatments, such as complex wound dressings
- Parent and staff education about pain management for children.
- Development of pain assessment and management procedures for children.
Common techniques used to manage acute pain include:
- Distraction therapy, including books, movies, music and video games
- Patient-controlled Analgesia
- Analgesic/opioid infusion
- Epidural analgesia
- Nerve and caudal blocks
- Other pain relief medicines that are available in a variety of routes.
Each of these techniques may have specific advantages or disadvantages for an individual patient. The anaesthetist and/or The Comfy Kids Team, in consultation with the patient and their family, will carefully review and assess each patient’s situation before deciding on an appropriate pain management plan.
How to access this service
WCH staff refer patients to the service.
Parents of children booked to have major surgery at the WCH may contact the Nurse Consultant (specialist nurse) for advice and information before admission.
Weekdays, 8.00am – 4.00pm
The Children's Duty Anaesthetist is available out of hours for acute pain management support and daily review of children requiring management by The Comfy Kids Team over the weekend.
Being Comfortable after Short Stay Surgery – Fact Sheet
Procedural Sedation for Children – Fact Sheet
Patient-controlled Analgesia – Fact Sheet
Analgesic Infusion – Fact Sheet
Epidural Analgesia in Children – Fact Sheet
Nerve Block in Children – Fact Sheet
Caudal Block in Children – Fact Sheet
(08) 8161 7000, pager 4302
The Comfy Kids Team
Women's and Children's Hospital
72 King William Road
South Australia 5006
Lead Paediatric Anaesthetist
Dr Laura Burgoyne
Rachel Dineen and Ruth Deegan