Overview of Surgical Services
The Division of Surgical Services coordinates and manages support to the surgical departments and units of the WCH.
The Division of Surgical Services coordinates and manages support to the surgical departments and units of the WCH. The hospital is the main referral centre for complex paediatric surgical conditions, for South Australia, the Northern Territory and some regional centres in Eastern Victoria and Eastern New South Wales and supports a clinical and basic science research and teaching program.
Specialised Surgery Departments within Surgical Services at the WCH are:
- Burns service
- Cleft and Craniofacial SA
- Ear nose and throat
- General paediatric
- Stomal therapy
- Complex spinal cases
- Queen Victoria Operating Suites
How to access this service
- Level 2 , Queen Victoria Building
The Division has three inpatient wards, all located on the third floor of the Good Friday Building.
Newland Ward, Kate Hill Ward and Campbell Ward are surgical units dedicated to caring for children and adolescents requiring elective and emergency care for minor and complex surgery and procedures (approximately 5000 patients per year).
- Newland Ward provides care for children with more complex surgical needs. Surgical specialties for this ward include General Surgery, Urology, Trauma, Plastics, Burns and Thoracic..
- Campbell Ward provides care for children and adolescents who have procedures requiring anaesthesia followed by a short stay in hospital of up to 36 hours.
- Kate Hill Ward provides care for children and adolescents with more complex surgical needs. Surgical specialties for this ward include Orthopaedics, Neurosurgery, Ophthalmology, Ear, Nose & Throat and Paediatric Gynaecology.
Paediatric Intensive Care and High Dependency Unit are also units of the WCH where surgical patients may be admitted for more intensive and complex care.
The Day of Surgery Admissions (DOSA) unit admits 80% of children in preparation for elective surgical/medical interventions.
The Day Surgery Unit comprises 20 beds/cots catering for children/young adolescents aged from 4 weeks to 18 years who require an anaesthetic or a procedure.
Dr Mark Moore
Advanced Nursing Director
(08) 8161 7270
(08) 8161 7057
Division of Surgical Services
Women's and Children's Hospital
72 King William Road
South Australia 5006