Coming to Hospital – For Women
If you are expecting a baby, this page describes when you might need to contact the hospital, and what you will need to bring with you.
You should contact the hospital if:
- your water breaks (even though you may not be experiencing contractions)
- your contractions are regular
- you are experiencing increasing abdominal discomfort
- you have any blood loss
- your baby's movements have changed
- you are uncertain about what is happening
- you are concerned or anxious.
If possible please telephone before coming to Hospital
- To speak to the midwife in the Women's Assessment Service, call (08) 8161 7530 or (08) 8161 7535
If you are being cared for by Midwifery Group Practice, please contact the hospital switchboard (phone (08) 8161 7000) and ask to have your midwife paged.
What to bring to hospital
Please view the following document (Page 8 – 'What to bring to the hospital'):
- your Pregnancy Hand Held Record
- your birth plan (optional)
- things you choose to use in labour (this will be discussed in antenatal classes)
- casual clothes to wear during the day if desired
- 2 night dresses (minimum)
- dressing gown and slippers
- 2 maternity bras
- plenty of comfortable underpants
- cordial if desired
- toiletries, eg soap, shampoo, toothbrush and toothpaste
- 1 large box of tissues
- 1 box of nipple pads/washable nursing pads
- 4 packets sanitary pads
- your own pillow, if desired.
For your baby:
- 40 disposable nappies (cloth nappies are provided by the hospital if you do not wish to use disposable nappies)
- fasteners/nappy pins if you prefer to use cloth nappies
- 6 pilchers (not plastic) if using cloth nappies
- baby care products for your baby whilst in hospital, for example baby wipes and gentle lotions or creams (optional)
- mittens (optional)
We encourage you to breastfeed but if you choose not to, please bring one tin of infant feeding formula, 2 feeding bottles, screw caps and teats.
Disinfecting containers and anti-bacterial solution to sterilise bottles are provided for use whilst in hospital.
To take your baby home
- 1 singlet
- 1 nightgown or outfit
- 1 baby jacket (optional)
- 1 shawl or blanket
- disposable or cloth nappies and two safety pins, plastic clips or fasteners and pilchers
- mittens (optional)
- 1 baby capsule or baby restraint for transport home – these can be hired from Australian Red Cross.
Please note that there are no secure places for storing valuables at the hospital. All your belongings remain your responsibility. For safety and security reasons, please do not bring personal electrical equipment, including mobile phones.