Child and Adolescent Virtual Urgent Care Service – For GPs
The Child and Adolescent Virtual Urgent Care Service is available to support GPs in providing and coordinating care for patients, families and carers.
The Child and Adolescent Virtual Urgent Care Service is a virtual assessment and referral option which allows children and young people (aged between 6 months and 17 years) with non-life threatening conditions to be assessed virtually by a team of highly skilled emergency doctors and nurses, potentially reducing the need to visit the Emergency Department.
As a GP, you can have direct access to speak with Emergency doctors through the virtual service on behalf of your patients, providing clinical advice and reassurance during what might otherwise be a stressful or uncertain time.
GPs across South Australia can access the service by phoning directly through to the Emergency Consultant on 0481 467 655.
We are confident the service will provide excellent outcomes to patients, families and carers, including a reduction in preventable ED presentations and shorter ED wait times.
The Women’s and Children’s Health Network actively promotes that ‘every child and young person needs a GP’. We are committed to effective safe communication with GPs, and will provide a discharge summary for every patient presentation. We are proud to be improving equity and access to health services.
Why might you access the service for your patient?
- If you would like advice on whether your patient needs to attend the Emergency Department or another health service.
- If you would like to arrange urgent or semi-urgent follow up care for your patient, especially after hours.
- If you would like assistance or advice on accessing or coordinating hospital or community health services.
- If your patient lives remotely and cannot access timely medical care.
- If you would like to promote the patient self-referral link as part of your safety netting, where appropriate.
Parents and carers can also access the service directly, by visiting www.wch.sa.gov.au/virtualurgentcare, no matter where they are.
The service is suitable for children aged 6 months to 17 years old with non-life threatening conditions.
The Child and Adolescent Virtual Urgent Care Service is available 7 days a week from 9:00am to 9.00pm.